Greetings from the organization team of the European Lesbian Volleyball Easter Tournament 2009!!!
Dear participants of the Easter Volleyball Tournament 2009
A big thank you to each of you for coming to Brussels, engaging in an excellent display of volleyball, and being part of an unforgettable atmosphere!
It was a true pleasure to welcome you all here and we hope that you have taken as much enjoyment and as many beautiful memories from the weekend as we did!
See you next year in Groningen!
The BGS girls
Latest News – April 6th 2009
In less than a week, we will all meet in Brussels for what will be THE tournament of the year! The sun is currently shining in Brussels – let’s hope this will continue!
Below, you’ll find our third- and last – newsletter. Please read it carefully and see you all in a few days! We are soooo looking forward to welcoming you!
The BGS girls
WELCOME EVENING – REGISTRATION
When? Friday April 10 – From 6:30pm to 11:30pm
Where? Le Smouss Café – rue marché au charbon, 112 – 1000 Brussels – www.smousscafe.be
Come and join us there for a drink. or two. or… . This is also where you will register, meet your host, receive your welcome pack and the latest info re the fun and sporty weekend ahead of you.
IMPORTANT: If you cannot join us on Friday, please inform us at firstname.lastname@example.org. It will aslo be possible to register on Saturday morning at the gymnasium before the competition starts. All teams are expected in their respective gymnasium at 9.00, just before the warming-up. You will find maps of our different locations on www.eulevoto.net.
Who plays where?
- Level A+, A- and B+: Centre Sportif Mounier: Av. Emmanuel Mounier, 87 at 1200 Brussels/Woluwe
- Level B-: Centre Sportif de la Forêt de Soignes: Ch. de Wavre, 2057 at 1160 Brussels/Auderghem
- Level C+ and C: Centre Sportif d’Etterbeek: Rue des Champs, 69-71 at 1040 Brussels/Etterbeek
- Each team should bring its own balls.
- Water will be distributed in each gymnasium. No need to bring your 2.5 gallon bottle or to fix a tank collecting rain water on the top of your car. You may be unlucky if it is sunny…
- Sneakers with white sole only are allowed in the gymnasiums. This is valid for both players and non-players. Spare your high heals shoes for the party!
- Don’t forget that a special prize will be given to the best team cheer and to the best outfit!
- By now, you have received an email informing you about your host’s coordinate. Please contact her/him as soon as possible. Thanks
- Parking in Brussels’ center is expensive and not easy. Public transport is the best option. For more info, please click on www.stib.be/index.htm
- Taste and enjoy BELGIAN “French” fries and beer. Forget waffles, they are only made for tourists ;o)
- Visit the Grand Place
- If it rains during your stay, go in the streets to sing and dance under your umbrella… oops, no, sorry, that’s in New York City!
AND WHAT HAS BECOME A TRADITION NOW…. a few expressions used outside Brussels but still very helpful!
Oufti quén affèr !
(oufty kenafair) = expression from Liège but regularly used in Brussels for mixed feelings: astonishment and despair
(nondidjou) = literal translation of “in God’s name!”
(a:znaiz) = in a very relax way
How will it take place in Brussels ?
|Friday 10/04 – Welcome evening
|Time: from 6:30 PM to 11:30 PM|
|Place: LE SMOUSS (rue marché au chargon, 112 – 1000 Brussels) Website: www.smousscafe.be|
|Come and have a drink with us at the SMOUSS. This is also the place where you will meet your host, receive last information and programme and finally meet your opponents!|
|Saturday 11/04 – First day of tournament
|9:00 AM: Be on time at your dedicated gymnasium for the warming session|
|Level A+, A- and B+ will play in the ‘Centre Sportif Mounier’ (Avenue Emmanuel Mounier, 87 – 1200 Brussels-Woluwe)|
|Level B- will play in the ‘Centre Sportif de la Forêt de Soignes’ (Chaussée de Wavre, 2057 – 1160 Brussels-Auderghem)|
|Level C+ and C- will play in the ‘Centre Sportif d’Etterbeek’ (Rue des Champs, 69-71 -1040 Brussels-Etterbeek)|
|End of the tournament day: 6:00 PM|
|Sunday 12/04 – Second day of tournament
|Start at 9:00 AM in all gymnasiums|
|Finals: from 12:30 PM to 6:30 PM in ‘Centre Sportif d’Etterbeek’|
|22:30 PM: EUROPEAN GIRLS PARTY @ La Raffinerie (Rue de Manchester, 21 – 1080 Brussels)|
|Monday 13/04 – Brunch
|From 10:00 AM to 2:00PM: Brunch @ LE MANNEKEN in Grand place – Brussels centre|
To register, simply :
- Download the following registration document: Brussels_Registration2009.doc
- Complete the document
- Send it to us at the following address: email@example.com
As in past years, we are proposing an accommodation program with local residents. We will do everything possible to meet all accommodation demands that we receive. There is the possibility that we may not be able to meet all demands, in which case we will operate on a first come, first serve basis.
More information regarding accommodation options (hostels, hotels….) in Brussels will soon be available on our « Hosting » web page
For further inquiries you can contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Participation as player : 45 €
Participation as supporter : 35 €
Brunch on Sunday morning : 12 €.
Any cancellation has to be notified to the organization team by e-mail to email@example.com.
Any cancellation (in part of in full) of a registration which is notified before 15 February 2009 (registration deadline) will be reimbursed in full.
Any cancellation notified between 15 February 2009 and 15 March 2009 will be reimbursed in half (50%).
Any cancellation notified after 15 March 2009 will not be reimbursed.
In case of incapacity to take part in the tournament because of illness, accident or any physical deficiency, the participant (or a member of his/her club) will have to provide proof of the incapacity (medical certificate) in order to be reimbursed. In such cases, the deadlines mentioned above do not apply.
The tournament will be held in 6 levels (A+, A-, B+, B-, C+ and C-).
The tournament will take place in 3 locations
- The levels A+, A- and B+ will play in the “Centre sportif Mounier”
- The level B- will play in the “Centre de la Forêt de Soigne”
- The levels C+ and C- will play in the “Centre sportif d’Etterbeek”
All finals (A+, A-, B+, B-, C+ and C-) will be held on Sunday afternoon in “Centre sportif d’Etterbeek”. Awards ceremony will take place there.
The following teams are already registered to the thournament 🙂
- Netzonians (Köln, Amsterdam)
- Dutch Dream Team (Amsterdam)
- De Roze Duivels (Waregem)
- BGS Poulettes (Brussels)
- Elbperlen (Hamburg)
- De Iguanodonten (Amsterdam)
- French Kiss (Paris)
- Baba Jaga (Berlin)
- Dynamo Won (London)
- Strak (Amsterdam)
- Lady Groove – Madeleintjes (Leuven)
- Out (Paris)
- Dynamo Dig It (London)
- BH-DELUXE (Hamburg)
- Towandas reloaded (Stuttgard)
- Power Shot (Gronigen)
- Vienna’s Queer Melange (Vienna)
- Annemie (Köln)
- Lady Groove – Nic-Nacjes (Leuven)
- White Sox (Gent)
- Weiberkram (Düsseldorf)
- Bella Block (Bremen)
- DomEffis (Köln)
- Where is the nearest Brussels Waffle? (Amsterdam)
- Anonymous (Paris)
- Happ Ich (Köln)
- French Fries (Paris)
- Dynamo Dyke It (London)
- Netzo Fier (Amsterdam)
- AC Puur (Antwerp)
- Eisprung (Karlsruhe)
- Laika 05 (Hamburg)
- Queen for Tonight (Groningen)
- The L Touch (Paris)
- Bloody Mary (Paris)
- Funatics (Goud)
- Al Dente (Hamburg)
- Lady Groove – Boudoirkes (Leuven)
- Lady Groove – Petit Beurrekes (Leuven)
- AC Delicat (Antwerp)
- Lost Persons Area
As each year, we are proposing an accommodation program with local residents (registration for the accommodation program is done via the general registration document). We will do everything possible to meet all accommodation demands that we receive. There is the possibility that we may not be able to meet all demands, in which case we will operate on a first come, first serve basis.
If you prefer a different manner of accommodation, here are some useful contacts:
- Hotel Orts: http://www.hotelorts.com/en/adresse.html
- The hotel « Les écrins » is proposing the following prices for tournament participants :
- 30 € per person for a triple of quadruple room
- 40 € per person for a double room
- 50 € for an individual room
At the time of your reservation, be sure to specify that you are part of the Easter tournament, organized by the BGS girls
- Jacques Brel: http://www.laj.be/html/en/hostels/brel/aubergesbrel_en01.htm
- Sleep Well: http://www.sleepwell.be/
- Centre Van Gogh: http://www.chab.be/
- Centre Brueghel:http://www.vjh.be/
Who are we?
We are a team of volleyball players, who make up a part of the non-profit organization ‘Brussels Gay Sports’, some of us members for more than ten years, and participate regularly in the diverse organizations and events of our association.
Brussels Gay Sports (BGS) is the first gay sporting club of Belgium and has been in a constant state of growth over the last 17 years.
More than a simple sporting club, it gathers its members and their friends around unifying values of sporting competition and fun, but also tolerance and social dynamitism throughout organization of international sporting tournaments and parties, fundraising campaigns in the fight against aids, sport training or cultural activities.
This is why BGS drives a strong image city-wide and beyond with the authorities, traders, gay public, the public at large and of course its own members.
Welcome to Brussels: The capital of Europe, but also an engaging and comfortably sized cosmopolitan city (with one million inhabitants/164 km²). Brussels is a cultural mosaic, advocating co-education in this respect. Its centre is symbolized by ‘la Grand-Place’ (many say it is the most beautiful town square in the world), ‘le Sablon’, ‘le quartier des Marolles’ (the district of antique dealers, where it is nice to stroll on Sundays), ‘la Bourse’ (the stock exchange) and its neighbourhood, ‘la Place Sainte-Catherine’ and ‘les Halles Saint-Géry (the gay district) where design and fashion are well established.
The city of Brussels offers a range of arts that appeal to a plethora of interests. Simply taking a stroll in the district of Ixelles will charm Art Nouveau admirers. The musical instruments museum (www.mim.fgov.be) will not disappoint music lovers and the view of city centre from their roof top terrace is splendid. For those interested in comics, the ‘comic strip capital’ offers a museum for such, located in a magnificent Art Nouveau building in the city center (www.cbbd.be).
If you are the type to take pleasure in satisfying your palate, our capital abounds in places where you can taste our numerous beers and Belgian cheeses, and establishments where the cuisine goes above and beyond mussels and French fries. Are you familiar with le chicory gratin, le Waterzooi, les anguilles au vert, les carbonnades, le stoemp? It is equally difficult to pass up our selection of sweets: speculoos, waffles, chocolate, gazettes, babeluttes, « couques » of all varieties….
From the Zaventem Airport to Brussels
- There is a train between the airport and city centre (gare du midi) for + /- 5 €.
- The bus (number 12) travels between the airport and la place du Luxembourg for 3 €.
- There is a taxi queue just outside the airport terminal exit, assuring you a travel towards city centre for +/- 40€, depending on the traffic and your final destination.
Transport in the city
- The STIB network (www.stib.be) will respond to all of your questions regarding routes within Brussels. The metro, buses and trains circulate from 6am until midnight. Night buses operate until 3am Friday’s and Saturday’s
- Taxis: There are a relatively small number of taxis in Brussels. It is often difficult to catch a taxi on the spot, unless you are in front of a train station or a significantly commercial area. A telephone call to a taxi company is more reliable (+ 32 2 268 00 00 or +32 2 349 49 49). All taxis are equipped with a meter.
With the support of